Saturday, December 6, 2008

Soul Reading

I took a day off of the doubles to go play some more live poker at the track yesterday. Whenever I see someone's cards I usually give them one warning. You know what, when I am in the 2 seat and the flasher is in the 7 seat, fuck it. He is an idiot for being that bad. I opted to say nothing. It never helped me in any decisions I had to make during the 3 hour session as I don't even recall ever being in a hand with him. What he would do is shuffle the cards on top of each other and when he lifted one to shuffle the other under you could easily see what he had. Sometimes I was off by 1 like an 8 or a 9 but I was correct about 90% of the time.

In one particular hand I saw that he had 10,5. Flop comes 10,10,9. He leads the betting on all streets vs 2 opponents who both folded on the river. The people on my side of the table comment that he had to have a 9. I chimed in and said he had a 10. I then wanted to bet the people on my side but had no takers. I then asked the guy "you had a 10 there right? In fact I bet you had 10,5." He nodded his head and said "I had a 10, I will say that." Wonder if he was thinking if I could read his soul or not.

The session was going nowhere early. I failed to win a pot in the first hour and was down $40. One kind of spewy hand was when I had something like J,3 with the 3s. from the BB. Flop is low and its checked around. Turn is a Js bringing 3 spades and call a bet. River is a 4th spade. Opponent leads out for $15 and I made the call and was shown the nuts with the AsK. I was actually in the lead till the river, who knew.

After texting Zooks how I haven't won a hand in the first hour I picked-up K,K the very next hand and won about a $60 pot to get even. After that there wasn't anything too interesting for the next 90 minutes or so. In the last 1/2 hour I did play a 4-way pot with A,10 when the flop comes 10,10,8. I called a $4 bet (lolz) along with 2 others. The turn was a 5. There was an all-in bet of $10 and I called and both others called. River is a 9. I lead for $20 and the other two fold. The short-stack had 10,5.

One of the last hands I played was fairly interesting. I had 4,4 UTG and limped. UTG+1 raises to $10 and gets 4 callers and I call for set mining odds. The UTG+1 player was horrid. I was seeing him call $17 raises with Q,4 off and flopping the 4 which is obviously good enough to call $20 bets on the flop and turn to wait for the Q on the river to crack A,A. Flop comes 6,3,2. Not too bad for my hand. I check and it gets checked around. Turn is a 3. I lead for $20 and UTG+1 is the only caller. River is a 5. I lead for $40 and he folds. Maybe that's a spot there where I should check to see if I can induce a bluff, I'm not sure. If he has two overs he is not calling any bet of mine but if he has an overpair I need to try and take him to valuetown. Looking back an overpair doesn't seem likely otherwise he bets that flop.

At the end of the session I showed a nice $101 profit. Believe it or not the games should actually get better in the next week or so as live horse racing kicks off again. You can get the random horse bettor who has no clue to drop a couple hundred. Even some of the regulars have their nose in the Daily Racing Form looking for bets and are not paying attention.

Can't believe that the winter blogger gathering is less than a week away already. Haven't had time to get excited yet. I'm sure I will be itching to go come Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment