Tuesday, December 9, 2008

SNGs

Snuffy and I were recently reminiscing about the good old days of poker.

The good old days, back when Neteller was alive and well, back when bonus whoring was the sport of Queens, Kings and Poker Aces.  Yep, the good old days.

That's when I played a ton of Sit-n-Gos: back before the days of Sharkscope, Official Poker Rankings or the PokerDB (now at Bluff).  This was back in the day when you could be confident at least 7 out of the 10 players at your table were complete and utter idiots.

I made a lot of money playing SNGs on PokerRoom and their skins.  I bonus whored my way through at least 4 of their skins playing exclusively SNGs.  They were very profitable.

Did anybody else notice that much of the bonus whoring dried up when Neteller closed up shop?  Most of the sites closed to US players and we have very limited ways of getting money on and off sites.  It became very cost prohibitive to move money around.  That was when I started playing almost exclusively at Full Tilt.

Coincidentally, that's the same time I stopped playing the basic SNG.  I started playing a lot of tokens and did quite well at that for a while.  I'd have tokens stacked up.  Unfortunately I wasn't having any luck converting my Tier 2 tokens into cold hard cash.  It was very frustrating.  I blame the tier SNGs for my stats sucking ass.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Overall I'm playing the least amount of poker these day than I have in the past 3 years while my bankroll is at nearly the highest it's ever been.  I'm bored with cash games - nit infested waters IMO - and don't have the time for MTTs.  I've been sticking mostly to the private MTTs that I play week in and week out.

Two days ago I decided I needed to play SNGs again.  I was once good at these.  Granted the environment has changed drastically from when I first played them back in the good old days, but damnit I have skillz!  I should be able to conquer this beast!  Uh huh... GLWT.

I'm on what you might call a heater, the upside of variance, a good run;  don't worry it will end soon rather than later but I'm going to ride this bitch for all she's worth.  I played four SNGs in the last two days and racked up a first, two seconds and a third!  Go me!  How did this happen you might be asking yourself...  How? 

I'm a nit.  There I said it.  I find any reason to fold shitty hands;  hell I've been known to fold my SB, repeatedly.  I've managed to get paid off when I have a big hand even when it's clear to any reasonably observant player that I haven't played shit in 65 hands.  My VPIP/PFR for the last SNG was 5/4 when we were down to 5 players and I still got action. 

I still got action.  That blows my mind.  So I'm back to playing SNGs for the near future anyway.  Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

3 comments:

  1. Playing SnGs like a nit is a solid strategy for 9-handed tables. The only time that you might run into problems is when everyone starts playing "fold or raise" poker in the early stages and you end up with 7 or 8 people left with the blinds at 50/100. That can even be dealt with (just start stealing like a mofo), but it can be annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick fix: stop playing holdem. There's pot limit Omaha, pot limit Omaha/8 and maybe even other non-holdem games. At least it gets rid of most Sharkscope-ish stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) both comments above are correct
    b) you are supposed to fold your SB a lot
    c) what did you expect in a $1 SnG?
    d) this post needs a by-line.

    ReplyDelete