Sunday, December 14, 2008

Got together with a few friends on Saturday night for some drunk home game action.

We've got a great venue - a cafe - which means we don't need to worry about keeping kids, or significant others, awake all night. However, it means that there's no Playstation or Xbox to keep people amused when they get knocked out of a SNG, so we've made it a .25c/50c cash game.

I started the night off with a bluff in the first hand. I called a raise from one of the better players with KTo. I had position on him, so I floated his flop cbet with a gutshot. The turn paired the Q, he led again so I raised him and put out what looked like a value bet on the river. He folded AJ (no pair) and I showed everyone the bluff and guaranteed myself action for the rest of the night.

I dropped my first buyin when I called a small raise with 96s in the SB and flopped bottom two on a K high flop. I check-raised the original raiser, then moved in on the J turn, which turned out to be a mistake as he had KJ, not the AK or KQ that I put him on. He boated up with another J on the river.

My first significant win of the night came when I limped with a suited baby ace and flopped the nuts versus the second nuts. Gus (the guy with the K high flush) led out, I smooth called, and a third player then raised. Gus moved allin and I made the easy call. I think he made the mistake of not realising I was still in the hand. I then turned a steel wheel to rub it in even further!

The next big hand I was involved in was a limped pot. I limped the button with J9o and flopped a gutshot on a rainbow 67T board. It was checked around to the cutoff who put out a bet, which didn't really mean much coming from him, so I called as did everyone else. The turn was the 8 completing my nut straight and putting four different suits out there which I liked a lot. I flat called a big bet Gus, a 5 came on the river and I made another easy call when he moved allin. As the saying goes, it's an easy game when you've got the nuts.

I had been straddling most times when I was UTG and getting plenty of action, but nothing playable. I think I was yet to win one of these hands when I picked up KQo and raised another $6 on top of my $1.50 straddle. I got two callers and saw a flop of Qxx all diamonds. I led at it and got raised. I wasn't sure what to make of the raise. The guy usually slow plays so I didn't think he had flopped a flush. I thought it was more likely that he had a pair, or he was just testing me to see how serious I was about my hand. If he had the Ad I would expect him to flat call in that spot rather than semi-bluff so I called as I was 99% sure I had the K of diamonds. The turn was another diamond which I checked and the other guy moved allin for about $200. It was a massive overbet, but I checked my cards again and sure enough my K was a diamond so I called. He'd turned two pair and couldn't improve on the river and I took down the biggest pot of the night.

We finally called it a night at about 4am. I left extremely wasted, but up $320 for the night. More than enough to cover the zillion beers I drank and the taxi ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment