Thursday, November 13, 2008

I did it all for the mookie

I'd read a few posts from Snuffy about his runs in The Mookie and decided to give it a go myself.

I got lucky early to take the chip lead. This was a FT double stacked tournament, so with blinds at 20/40 everyone is still pretty deep. Julius_Goat (2640) opened 3x UTG, and got flat called by UTG+1 (2315). It gets folded around to me in the BB and I make the call with KQo (I have 2925 behind). The flop comes, 7h Th Ac, I check to the preflop raiser who make a continuation bet of 210. UTG+1 makes the call and I decide to peel one off to see if I can hit my gutterball.

This is one of the few spots where I will make this call - the stacks are deep, meaning I'm getting great implied odds, and I can close off the betting on this street (there is no one behind me to repop it).

I call the 210 and the Jc on the turn gives me the nuts. Betting out here will give the game away so I check. I'm sure Juluis has a big ace and is going to want to bet again to protect his hand, then I can spring my trap. Sure enough he fires 800 and gets called again. I shove into the now substantial pot and both players make the call. Julius has Ah Jd for top two, and UTG+1 has Qh 8h for a flush draw and a gutshot. The river is a meaningless 3c and I scoop a massive pot and knock out two players.

I then got moved to the host's table and was pretty quiet through the next few blind levels due to a lack of hands. Tried to steal the blinds with Th 7h from MP and got called by pocket 5s. I lead the 4s 9s 7d flop and get called. Checked the 9h turn and called a pot sized bet. I then lead the river (3h) with a big enough bet to put the guy allin and get called. Turns out I was bluffing with the best hand, who knew (certainly not me!).

I donked off a bunch of chips to heffmike (3 time AIPS winner, and has also won The Mookie three times) when I decided to resteal with 96s. He'd opened from the HJ and CO a few times, and my dumb brain decided he was doing it light. Of course with his stack size he was not:


Not long after this the two big stacks at our table, lucko21 and PinkyStinky, got it allin preflop. lucko tabled AK to PinkyStinky's QQ and they were off to the races. A king hit the flop and lucko doubled up to take a massive chip lead. It was about this time that lucko started open raising every pot. A trait he would carry through to the final table.

lucko was running hot (cracking aces with Q6s) so I tried to stay out of his way. I won a couple of pots by using his aggression against him, eg. checking top pair on the flop after I raised pre, which induced bluffs from him on the turn and river.

We got down to four and I handed lucko one of the worst beats ever with the A and the J:


He was out not long after when he shipped K6 into the BB's AK. gg.

I went into heads up against Schaubs who had a nearly 2:1 chip advantage - 91,624 vs 49,376. I won the first hand, which was a massive 45k pot, with top two pair and gave me a slight lead. Not long after we got it all in on an ace high flop. Schaubs had A8 vs my AQ and it held to give me a Mookie on my first shot.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I've sent you an email with questions for the profile.

    ReplyDelete