Friday, November 28, 2008

Bodonkey

The Bodonkey was last night. I knew it would be a smaller turnout due to Thanksgiving and I was correct, 20 runners. When you add in what Bodog kicks in the prize pool was more than double what it should be. Very nice. Nzgreen was to my immediate right on my opening table. I lost a few hands early and was sitting below 2000. I was able to chip back up a little bit when I picked-up A,K UTG and limped. Behind me there was a raise and a ship from a short stack. I shipped over the top and the short stack had K,Q and I was up over 3k.

I was able to build my stack from there until I ran into this hand vs Nz. He was getting short and raised it up 3x. I re-raised with A,K and he thought and called. Off to a J,9,4 flop Nz checks with about 1300 behind. I lead at the pot for 500. I picked this amount because I wanted the bet to say I am not folding if you shove. He ends up shoving and I obviously call. He had 7,7. I turned a flush draw but never got there and I doubled him up, leaving me in the 1900 range again.

I would like to solicit opinions on how the hand was played from both ends. I contend that Nz played it badly but he said that he put me on exactly A,K and was able to proceed the way he did. I think I make that I play AQ+ and 1010+ as well. Hard to say.

I was able to double again before the first break and I was sitting on around 4k. In the second hour I flopped some sets and got other premium holdings (if you count AA and KK). One interesting hand was against donkette who was in the BB. I raised it with the 97dd in middle position and she was the only caller. Flop comes J,7,x. She open shoves into the pot. This smells soooo much like a stop and go. I didn't take long to call but she had the Q,J. Bad read me.

Headed to the final table I was one of the shorter stacks. I was able to get a double and ended up grabbing the chip lead with around 6-7 left. I kinda just hung out there and with four people left two interesting hands happened.

The first hand I had the chip lead. Not too long before against the same opponent I was able to put in a check raise on the flop with bottom two pair. He folded. Fast forward a few hands I'm holding the 8,7 and call a raise from the same player. I put in the same check raise on the flop but he calls. I lead the turn and he min-raises me back. Plan gone wrong. I fold and am now 3rd in chips and still on the bubble.

After that hand I picked-up a few pots and was in a healthy 3rd place with 4th having around 10 bb's. With blinds at 200/400 and myself sitting on around 9400 I picked-up K,K from the BB. UTG raised to 1600, a pretty high bet for this game so far. the SS folded, the SB called and it was up to me. I could either put in half my stack here or just ship it in and take the already sizable pot. I opted to raise it to 4000 to try and make it look like a steal. Original raiser folds and the SB calls. Flop comes J,x,x. SB essentially bet enough to put me all in. I shove, he calls and he has jack ace. The A hits the turn and I am crushed on the bubble. The headset took a beating after that. Why I get so mad is beyond me.

I really can't complain that much though. I did the EXACT SAME THING to a short stack with around 7-8 left when I raised, with K,10 and got reraised. Flop come K,X,X and I put him in. He calls with A,A. Turn K river 10. What comes around goes around. I'm happy with three points finishes and 3 final tables the last 4 events. Only two bubble prizes of t11 to show for it. If I keep getting there I like my chances.

2 comments:

  1. i actually read you for holding a monster with the 4k reraise and was gonna fold if the original raiser called but he folded. once the flop came J high, i went ahead and put you all in hoping to see you call with AK. i was very lucky to hit the turn. sorry you went out on the bubble that way. GL next wk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I get over it quick :)

    ReplyDelete