Thursday, February 12, 2009

AIPS Recap

(click through for hand replayer)
New season, new night, new site. AIPS IV is upon us.

After the redonkulous freeroll the week before I wasn't sue what to expect. A total of 168 runners for the $5 private tournament was impressive. With 1500 starting stacks and 15 minute levels there was plenty of time early to pick your spots. Wait for the Brazilians to spew.

I really didn't pick-up anything or play over the first 20 minutes. My first playable hand was at the 15/30 level when I picked-up 1010 in MP.



I'm not going to go crazy with 1010 in this spot pre-flop. I will limp and try ans see a cheap flop. The 4x raise behind me is not too concerning. The SB call helps. On the flop when the SB makes an overbet of 500 into the pot this SCREAMS of a flush draw. He is not going to have an overpair in this spot as he would have raised pre-flop. Flopping a set doesn't make sense here either. The range I had him on was a flush draw or top pair. Time to get it in and hope it holds.

Three hands after that I pick-up 77 in the BB.



Standard suck re-suck action. Happy to know that I only put bets in when I was ahead. After that hand I was sitting on 4200 and at the top of the leader board early. I pretty much held steady for the rest of the first hour and had 4155 entering the break.

At the end of the first hour and into the second hour I had a Brazilian (mercon2008) at the table that just loved to shove pre. One limper, shove. Folded to him, shove. He was shipping 20-30 BBs in the middle. His/her stats were around 35/25 if I remember correctly with an infinite aggression factor. Since he was two to my right I wanted to get a good hand and limp and let him shove over the top. I got my wish at the 75/150 level when I limped KK UTG. He ships 2880 in the middle and I make the snap call and see A10hh. Better than expected but I assumed I was going to look at an ace there a lot of the time. My hand holds and I am up around 8k.

I was really quiet the rest of the hour. Only notable hand was taking out a 1500 short stacks A8 with KK again and I ended the level with around 7300.

Beginning of hour three was the same at the end of hour two. Absolutely nothing to play. I went around 50 hands without a sniff of anything. We were near the money bubble and I had a lot of medium stacks at the table. I was able to raise with air 2-3 hands per lap to grind up a little.

Shortly after the bubble Blazman was looking to get a stack going. He was to my immediate right and when it was folded to him and he shipped I had a snap call with A8 soooted. He showed J6 off and the board bricked out and I was up to 14k and looking good.

A few hands later at the 300/600 level I picked-up 99 UTG and raised 3x and was called by the button. I flop middle set with an ace and two hearts. I cbet 2k and get shoved on for about 6k. He has either the flush draw or the ace, most likely the ace. I was wrong, he had the KJhh. I fade the rest of the board and am up to 23k.

At the start of the final table the stacks were as follows:

Seat 1: edwardm111 (26873 in chips)
Seat 2: ornycjv (24775 in chips)
Seat 3: richsmuv21 (36132 in chips)
Seat 4: Zyzzyva999 (43819 in chips)
Seat 5: scottc25 (20191 in chips)
Seat 6: Nuance613 (20441 in chips)
Seat 7: RexTownsend (18915 in chips)
Seat 8: nzgreen (19494 in chips)
Seat 9: Poeben (41360 in chips)

Two Corporation players make the final table, woot!

Early on I found zero spots to play. When we were down to 8-handed I was finally able to pick-up some hands and find some good spots. I was able to work my stack all the way up to 53k without showing down a hand. Down to 7 handed I woke-up wih JJ on the button and took out zyzzzzzzzzava ( sp close?)



So with 6 people left I was sitting on a monster stack. Here were the chip counts after I raised the next hand, flopped a set, and won a decent pot on the flop.

Seat 1: edwardm111 (18020 in chips)
Seat 2: ornycjv (20706 in chips)
Seat 3: richsmuv21 (47377 in chips)
Seat 5: scottc25 (81613 in chips)
Seat 6: Nuance613 (35664 in chips)
Seat 9: Poeben (48620 in chips)

Not long after that I run into the cooler when my KK runs into AA by a 16k short stack. Win that one and I'm near 100k with the next biggest stack being 36k. Damn it.

Lost ANOTHER 21k shortly after that on this hand:



I would like some opinions here. I think I did OK in this spot. After the hand I was all the way down to 30k and 5/6.

I pretty much held my own over the next 30 hands of so and when we were down to 4 handed I found the A and the J in the SB:



Fuckin Blaz hand. Out if 4th for $70 something. Don't care about the $, I wanted the plastic produce.

There is one really sick bluff I ran at the final table. I will try and find it and send it in for hand of the week.

4 comments:

  1. In the 44 hand why didn't you c/b?

    You raised pre-flop so you aren't super likely to have a 9. You are much more likely to have a pair if you have a decent hand. I think villain is more likely to think a c/r is full of it than if you just bet out.

    Also, when you c/r'ed you gave him almost 3:1 to call, not sure that's enough to force him out. It is 20% of his stack but neither of those is probably quite enough.

    On the turn I agree with the check. After he called your c/r you know you are in trouble. There are now draws on the flop.

    I might fold to the river bet, seriously. You are getting 10:1 so the call is fine but on the other hand I'm not sure your good 10% of the time here. I'm pretty confident villain has something and what can we beat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant 'no draws on the flop'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the villain on this hand. I would have folded to almost any bet after the turn. I put you on a big A or a small pocket. When you didn't bet the turn I knew you had either AK, or pocket pair less then 9. I figured you would bet more with JJ or TT on the flop(most likely would have folded). I also felt I had folded to a lot of C bets already and that people then start to try to bluff me off hands. I just felt it was time to switch to calling station for a will and pick up some bluffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I talked to another Corporation member and he didn't like the line I took on the hand at all. My story didn't match the betting for sure.

    ReplyDelete