Monday, August 16, 2010

The Wonderful World of Deuce

I have a new found favorite game. Don't worry, I'm sure I will curse it to no end soon enough. Back a few months ago I was playing some pot-limit heads-up 5 card draw sit-n-gos. I found that it was fairly easy to read my opponents hands based on betting patterns. About a week ago I decided to try another draw game, 2-7 no-limit single draw. I have been playing the turbo heads-up sit-n-go version with a decent amount of success.

So far I have played 27 $3.20 turbos and I have amassed a 19-8 record. Right out of the gate I started off 12-1 but have since posted a break-even record. I would really like to move up as fast as I can due to the rake structure. When you move up to the $6 ones the rake is only $0.25. Way more beatable. I need to take a peek at that level one of these days to see how the quality of play is. Someone mentioned a possible challenge. It's possible but not too likely because of the lack of volume in these and I haven't even tried multi-tabling them yet.

I have noticed a bunch of regulars in these. Taking notes is so important in these. One of the players that is on the Sharkscope leaderboard for heads-up draw games I have pegged as an aggro monkey. You never have to bet your hands, he will for you. So far I am 4-0 vs him. He has always refused the rematch.

The strategy I have developed for these has been working well. Even if I am down 300 to 2700 I never feel that I am out of it. I have actually come back from this deep of a hole around a half dozen times already.

I will give you one good tip. When you are both drawing one and you are out of position, check your big made hands (7s, 8s and 9s). If your opponent misses they are not calling your bet anyway. Give them a chance to bluff off some chips and bet hands they normally wouldn't even call with. One rare exception to this is when you get a player that pays off with any non-paired hand (and even some small pair hands).

I will post after I get a couple hundred of these done and see if I notice any more trends.

No comments:

Post a Comment